Sunday, April 17, 2011

Art Preview/ Art Auction Malaysia 2011



PAGO - PAGO, 1968 graced the invitation card



What does an art enthusiast look for at an art exhibition?  The last time we viewed art was at the Malaysian Art Friends at Istana Art Gallery and the Art Expo Malaysia 2010 at MATRADE Exhibition and Convention Centre. Yesterday, we attended  the preview of Art Auction Malaysia 2011 at MAP @ Publika, Solaris Dutamas.

Well, to answer my own question, it is to learn more about art and  try to capture the artist's soul on the canvas, so to speak. Once in a while a piece resonates with me right  away, it's love at first sight!. Often times I flounder as not necessarily do I like what I see and not knowing how to make a well - informed opinion.

I tagged along my hubby to this event. We are not art collectors; only the odd pieces which we dearly love to hold and cherish are in our house. True enough, buying art is not for the faint hearted nor when priorities in life  take precedence over  making  an investment in art.

Just like we learn to appreciate  the art of tasting our wines, one can say, appreciating art is  the same. Find out more about the artists, their techniques, educate ourselves  more about art by talking to people  to form an informed opinion, going to art exhibitions,  I believe can appreciate art better.

With more awareness being created by Malaysian Art Friends  and this exhibition and  others cropping up in the local scene, it augurs well  for  the development of  the art scene. Through the seminars offered to the public on a wide range of pertinent art topics - art collecting and investing, critique, conservation, restoration etc,  appreciation of art  can be forged through keen interest. These exhibitions are not only about  appreciation and art collectors. There is abundant untapped talent  among our young and exposing them to the art world, a more vibrant art environment will hopefully develop.  

This preview  by Henry Butcher, Art Auctioneers  was a relaxed affair. It was graced by H.R.H. Raja Dr.Nazrin Shah Sultan Raja Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah, the Crown Prince of  Perak Darul Ridzuan. People mingled to view  the 22 pieces on display. Illustrious  names were there: Mohd Hoessein Enas, Ibrahim Hussein, Chuah Thean Teng, Tan Choon Ghee, Abdul Latiff  Mohidin. My favourites, Bayu Utomo Radjikin  and Ahmad Zakii Anwar  also made their impact there.

Opening of  An Exclusive Preview, Art Auction Malaysia 2011 by : H.R.H. Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah Ibni Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah, the Crown Prince of Perak Darul Ridzuan


Jalaini Abu Hassan b. Selangor, 1963
THE PUPETEER, 2006

We met some some serious art collector friends  and had a chat about art over lovely tea treats and a cuppa. So ended our short and sweet arty affair for the afternoon. I waxed euphoric over  a couple of pieces I  liked - can't say that of the prices though . You know it already - I can't afford it !! Nevertheless, this art enthusiast  will  definitely be back again when the full collection of 105 pieces for the public audience  takes place on 24 May. So come, browse and linger.


Hubby admiring  the oil on canvas piece by Mohd Hoessein Enas, Dato.
` Reputedly one of the only  five from Hoessein Enas' highly sought - after sensuous Morning  Mist Series, it is probably inspired by Rembrandt  van Rijin's (1606 - 1669) The Bather (1651) ' - text by  Mr Ooi Kok Chuen

Peter  Harris b. England, 1923-2009
RELAXING, c. 1970s -1980s

Tan Choon Ghee b.Penang, 1930 - 2010
KHOO KONGSI AT CANNON SQUARE, 1985

Chia Yu Chian b. Johor, 1936 - d. Singapore 1991
HAWKER, 1957

Norma Abbas, Puan Sri b.Kuala Lumpur, 1951
FLOWERS FOR HARI RAYA, 1995

Ibrahim Hussein, Datuk  b.Kedah, 1936 - d. Kuala Lumpur 2009
RISE ABOVE IT (CHINA COLLECTION), 2008

Bayu Utomo Radjikin b.Sabah,1969
INFINITY X, 1969

Mohd. Hoessein Enas, Dato b. Indonesia, 1924 -1995
MORNING MIST 5, 1992
 'The series is one of the most erotic in Malaysian art with the water-soaked and slightly hiked -up sarong accentuating the voluptuary of the body. few note the details of the floral motif and patterns of the sarong. This is also a work steeped in the tradition of Indonesian realist painter Basuki Abdullah (1915-1993) who has done similar 'Bathers' theme' - text by Mr Ooi Kok Chuen

Artistic presentation of fruit cocktails to whet our appetite:))

Good mix -  people and art and tea

23 comments:

  1. I'm not into art (other than photography) very much, but I found this post to be very interesting. I really do like some of the pieces you showed, so perhaps I should broaden my horizons.
    Thanks for visiting my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am drooling over the whole post. That fruit tree at the refreshment table is too beautiful to eat! The art is gorgeous. I love how you write that exposing the community to art increases the creativity of everyone. That is so true. I'm sitting here thinking, that's the answer to world peace. Really, if you nurture art in all forms, why would you want to destroy anything or anyone. I need to visit Malaysia some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love art and admire work of arts from other artists. Love all those inspriring visits to art galleries like Petronas Art Gallery in KLCC, Johore Art Museum and Ibrahim Hussien Gallery in Langkawi.I see you are enjoying the art pieces and the enticing refreshement there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful outing! A feast for the eyes and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant draw like them, but appreciate art tremendously... photography is the other avenue I can safely get into. I am wondering about the lady in MORNING MIST. Is she happy?, Is she running away?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful day. I too love art and try and visit galleries each week to admire the work of our local artists.
    I loved the food served there. Presentation is Everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The details of these paintings are beautiful. And your observation to the details of these paintings and its surroundings are beautifully written here too. I enjoy reading this blog, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting pieces displayed here. I admire painters very much - being able to capture and render details of life. I rely on my photography for that.

    Good post. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bayu Utomo Radjikin is definitely my favourite local artist, and I also love Mohd Hoessein Enas' work for his Gaugin-like infatuation with sarong girls ;) Makes me think of beach and Bali and vacations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post, Keats!

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the sharpness of your photos make the artworks appear very stunning on my screen. BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love art, thanks for sharing these pictures.
    I'm going to post from ARS 11 in Helsinki - African contemporary art when I have time to visit there.
    (We start painting at home; one month I'm going to be very busy painter!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very exclusive. You are the luckiest one at the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am surprised they let you take photos. Usually I would get in trouble for that.
    Such a wonderful opportunity to enjoy great art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for taking photo they only allow on launching day.

      Delete
  15. Art is always fascinating and these paintings are absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was attracted to the fruit cocktail...

    ReplyDelete
  17. some very nice artwork..i like the water color painting of the market place!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Art and food - two of my favorite things! I'll have to be on the lookout for an opening reception around here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wonder why the owner put Pago-Pago for auction? Such a big work from big artist.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH no! I missed this event! I happened to read about it somewhere in the newspaper but I didn't get to attend it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wondering where might be the best place to contact regarding selling an abstract composition by Dr. Teng Beng Chew; signed and dated 1968. (Fulbright Recipient 1967-1968 Malaysia) Any leads or info appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Great to have you popping in!