Sunday, January 8, 2012

Huggy Bears, Spread Goodwill



Happy New Year to all my friends! I wish you health, happiness and prosperity. It's been a hectic time with so many goings - on. My apologies for not popping in to say the odd 'hullo' and the lapse in posting too. My thanks to each and everyone of my blogging friends, far and near for keeping in touch.

Well, to start the year off, just like you to know I hugged some bears. Others among the milling crowd did the same, showed the victory sign or simply had fun . If you are in Kuala Lumpur,do pay a visit to these bears that are standing so friendly, with  a universal appeal for  peace, international understanding and tolerance among nations, cultures and religions of the world. You can't miss them as they tower at 2 metres of fibreglass.

 These United Buddy Bears  took off in Berlin in 2002. Acknowledged by the United Nations, these Buddy Bears, representing 143  countries stand hand in hand with a motto,' We have to get to know each other better... it makes us understand one another better, trust each other more and live together more peacefully.'

Coincidentally, I gave a soft cuddly bear to a child this Christmas. Right away, she shyly wanted the bear and hugged it. That bear is now on its way to the Netherlands. And then it fell upon me to hug some bears when I was window shopping at the Pavilion Mall.  Indeed they are big and attractive. Yes, Malaysia, I hugged you too! My New Year wish is for goodwill and understanding that we may prosper as Malaysians. I was happy to see the cheerful art depicting  Malaysians in unity.

So before the Buddy Bears bide us farewell in February and globe trot to another destination , make your way there to experience the warmth they bring. So go, mingle among the Buddy Bears - feel, touch, admire, enjoy, and give them hugs for the symbolic message -  that peace may reside in each  and everyone of us before it can spread to others. As John Lennon says, Give Peace A Chance .


Circling the fountain at  Pavilion Mall



YAY! Our Buddy Bear







Spot the country!

Infectious ! Love is everywhere. 


Brilliant idea - Each country has their own artists doing their country proud. Unique artwork that shows off the culture of the individual countries.

9 comments:

  1. Those are some very unique and special bears! I am glad you shared them and I would have hugged them too.
    Happy New Year to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful bears. Happy New Year to you and yours, Keats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year. Lovely shots of bears.. and with so much of variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was there at the Pavilion but did not take notice of the bears... good to see the happy faces hugging the bears...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these bears! Some of them are so clever. I think the mosaic one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muahhhh..hugs! hugs! hugs! Yeah Give Peace A Chance. Happy 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice cuddly bears. And you guys are having a great time hugging them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Amazing variety!
    A Very Happy New Year to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, now the bears are there!
    I shot pics of them when they were here in Helsinki!

    ReplyDelete

Great to have you popping in!